About The Hive
The Hive, in association with the StartUp Health Network – now in its second year – is accepting applications and nominations now through Wednesday, January 22, 2014.
Apply to the Hive or Nominate a Startup today.
This immersive and informal social environment is dedicated to exploring and showcasing transformative startups and the inspiring entrepreneurs that power the ideas shaping the future of health and medicine.
At TEDMED 2014, we’ll invite a hand selected set of diverse innovators and entrepreneurs who represent transformative new companies across the innovation landscape in health and medicine to be a part of the TEDMED community and join us in Washington, DC. Their ideas and varied approaches will represent game-changing innovations coming out of incubators and accelerators, government-run challenges, academically led programs, independent startups and labs run by Fortune 500 companies across all areas of health and medicine.
With our Partners and Entrepreneurs at the heart of the Hive, the TEMDED delegation will be exposed to the leaders of today and the future leaders of tomorrow in a showcase of new approaches to innovation and scalable new ideas – celebrating the new possibilities that emerge from our collective or “hive” mind.
Seeking Game-Changing StartupsAre you a part of or do you know a startup company that is shaping the future? If so, nominate a startup or apply today!
TEDMED Hive Application and Participation Guidelines
|Nominate a Startup|
The application process opens Thursday, November 21st and closes Wednesday, January 22nd. We will make all decisions no later than March 1st. Before applying, it is important to ensure you are able to participate fully starting Tuesday, April 8th through Friday, April 11th.
- Participation: If you are selected to participate in The Hive 2014, you will attend under an “Innovation Scholarship,” which fully covers the $4,950 fee for attending TEDMED. This admission includes all TEDMED-hosted meals, snacks and events and includes the opportunity to create an experience to share your product or idea and to participate in the full TEDMED event at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. You are expected to cover all other costs, including hotel, transportation, shipping of materials, etc.
- What to expect: This is not a trade show, exhibit hall or demo day. The Hive is the central destination of TEDMED 2014’s social experience and is the primary networking location for the 1600 leaders and innovators that attend this invitation only event. Your participation is not about a “pitch” but rather integrating you and your idea directly into the TEDMED ethos of multi-disciplinary discussion and exploration around innovation.
- Leadership: Representation of your idea will require participation from your senior leadership. Please note your admission badge is non-transferrable. To ensure necessary coverage and participation across the full days at TEDMED, the Scholarship will cover two individual leaders from your organization.
- Commitment: The Hive 2014 will require your onsite participation for a full four days in Washington, DC at the John F. Kennedy Center. As you will be attending on scholarship, you’ll have the full delegate experience: participation in all TEDMED activities, all 9 sessions, and all TEDMED evening events. The schedule in the Hive is as follows:
- Tuesday, April 16th from 7am – 7pm
- Wednesday, April 17th from 7am – 7pm
- Thursday, April 18th from 7am – 7pm
- Friday, April 19th from 7am – 5pm
- Selection Process: TEDMED and a team of curators, each representing a different approach to innovation, will award all scholarships.
- Space: As an important part of The Hive, you and your innovation will have a dedicated space within our 30,000-square-foot super structure on the South Plaza of the Kennedy Center, where you can showcase your idea and/or approach to innovation. TEDMED is integrating The Hive startups into the larger TEDMED experience. Each startup will be asked to create an experience that shares the value or the “gift” their idea contributes to creating a better future for health and medicine.
Your experience does not translate directly to a “demo” – in fact the best experiences engage the Delegation directly with the problem, benefit or solution their idea addresses. TEDMED will work with each startup to help shape and guide an appropriate experience.
TEDMED will provide structural support (i.e. electricity, flat screen monitors, tables, chairs, signage), the details of which will be available closer to the event. You will be responsible for manning your space, providing your physical product (if applicable) and all related content (digital and physical) enabling you to tell your story, share your idea and contribute to the larger conversation.
Please note: If you are looking to apply for an invitation to attend TEDMED 2014 as a Delegate, please use our Delegate application process, as this application process is for participation and inclusion in The Hive only.
The Hive Curation Team